Tonight, I’d like to write a post to my eighteen year old self–who will exist at 3:32 am, believe it or not.
And just for kicks, here are some highlights of my eighteen years so far.
So here is what I would like my eighteen year old self to do for my seventeen year old self this year:
- Love fiercely and don’t let go. People leave way too soon.
- Take a risk. Dance like a crazy person, ask that guy to homecoming, do what you want.
- Stop calling yourself ‘fat’ and ‘ugly’. You’re the bomb.
- Go out with friends and be present in the moment-cell phone put away!
- Be a friend to someone, surprise them with Starbucks or El Som.
- Don’t stress over going home too much or not enough. We’re a flexible family.
- Be honest.
- Quit apologizing for who you are.
- Ride a rollercoaster you had previously sworn off.
- Go see a movie you think you’ll hate.
- Paint…paint what you feel!
- Enjoy the “hand-holding stage” (as MaeMae would say) of a relationship. Don’t rush or stress.
- Listen to music.
- When you feel bad, it’s okay to watch Disney Channel and cuddle with stuffed animals.
- Don’t let a guy dictate what clothes you buy or how you do your hair.
- And finally, enjoy it. You’re not going to be eighteen forever. Cherish the people you meet and the experiences you have.
See, I’ve learned a lot about myself this year.
I’m pretty freaking cool.
I’m not fat or ugly (no matter how often I feel it)
People like hanging out with me.
I’m not a loser.
I can make beautiful things.
I don’t need a guy to be happy or to make my decisions for me.
I’m in charge of my destiny.
This life is for me to do great things.
And I plan on it.
I have really high hopes for this year.
I hope y’all do too.
You can be and do anything you want.
And you know what? I can too.
Wishing y’all a happy everyday,